|This article refers to the Cisco AnyConnect VPN. If you're looking for information on the Prisma Access VPN Beta that uses the GobalConnect app, see: Prisma Access VPN Beta Landing Page. |
If you're not sure which service you're using, see: How do I know if I'm using the Cisco AnyConnect VPN or the Prisma Access VPN Beta?
Download Cisco VPN Client 4.9.01.0180 for Mac. Fast downloads of the latest free software! CNET Download provides free downloads for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android devices across all categories of software and apps, including security, utilities, games, video and browsers. Download Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client 4.8.03052 for Windows. Fast downloads of the latest free software!
On this page:
- This guide will assist with the installation of the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client for OS X 10.6 and later
- You need administrator level account access to install this software.
- Note: Some screen shots may be slightly different from what you see depending on the version of your operating system and the VPN software.
- Download the VPN installer from MIT's download page, Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for MAC (certificates required).
- Find and open the downloaded file.
- The file will mount a disk image. Open this disk image and launch the file named 'anyconnect-macosx-XXXXXX'.
- On the following screen titled Welcome to the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Installer, click Continue.
- When presented with the software license agreement, click Continue then click Agree on the slide-down menu.
- If you are prompted 'Select a Destination...', select your primary hard drive and click Continue.
- On the window titled Standard Install..., click the button labeled Install and enter your computer username and password when prompted and click Install Software.
Note: The user must be an administrator of the machine to install.
Result: The VPN client will begin to install itself.
- When the installation has competed, click the button labeled Close.
Initiating a Connection to VPN and to VPN using Duo
- Cisco AnyConnect can be found in the Cisco folder located in the Applications folder (/Applications/Cisco/).
- Navigate to /Applications/Cisco/ and open 'Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client'.
- To authenticate with Duo, enter vpn.mit.edu/duo and click the button labeled Connect.
- Enter your MIT username and password then click the button labeled OK.
With Duo authentication, you will see a field asking for a Second Password.
In this field you may type in one of the following options:
- push - Duo will send a push notification to your registered cell phone with the Duo Security mobile app installed
- push2 - Duo will send a push notification to your _second registered device with the Duo Security mobile app installed_
- sms - Duo will send an SMS to your registered cell phone
- Phone -Duo will call your registered phone
- Phone2 -Duo will call your second registered phone
- Yubikey - If you are using a Yubikey for authentication, make sure the Second Password field is highlighted and use your key. For instructions on using the Yubikey, please see How do I authenticate with a YubiKey?
- The one time code generated by your hardware token or the Duo Security mobile app (the code changes every 60 seconds)
In this example, I entered 'push' in the Second Password field. I will receive a push notification on my cell phone, go to the Duo app and click Approve.
- When prompted at the MIT's Virtual Private Network (VPN) screen, click the button labeled Accept to connect to MIT's Virtual Private Network.
- Upon successful connection, Cisco AnyConnect will minimize itself and you will see the AnyConnect logo with a small lock in your menu bar just to the left of the time.
Follow the instructions below to download, install and connect the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client on your Mac computer (OS X 10.9 or newer) to the new MSU VPN.
- Go to https://www3.montana.edu/software.
Locate the Cisco AnyConnect (VPN Client) section (see image below).
- Click the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client (4.8) download link in the Mac OS X row (shownin red below).
The installer file downloads. When download is complete, follow steps below to install.
- Go to your Downloads folder (or whatever location the file was downloaded to) and double-click anyconnect-macos-4.8.00175-core-vpn-webdeploy-k9.dmg to unzip.
- Double-click anyconnect-macos-...pkg file to begin installation (see 1st image below).
The AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Installer window opens (see 2nd image below).
- Click Continue and follow the steps to install.
- Enter your computer's password when prompted.
- Click Close to shut installer window, after installation is finished.
- Click the Move to Trash button when prompted.
Installation will now be complete.
Connect to VPN:
- Go to your Applications folder, open the Cisco folder and then click the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. app.
The AnyConnect window opens (see image below).
- Enter vpn.msu.montana.edu (if not already entered) and click Connect (see top image below).
In the login window that opens (see bottom image):
- Select Group (appropriate for you role at MSU, ie MSU-Employee or MSU-Student).
- Enter NetID and NetID password, click OK.
You will now be connected to the MSU VPN. The Cisco icon in the dock will now have a little padlock on it and a tiny version Cisco round logo with padlock will be displayed on top menu bar.
Right-click on the icon in top menu bar and select Disconnect.
To connect in the future:
You will no longer go through Network Preferences to connect to the VPN, just use the AnyConnect app.
Cisco Anyconnect For Mac
Connect by right-clicking on the Cisco AnyConnect icon in the top menu bar or dock, then click the Connect button in the 'VPN Ready to connect' box.
If you don't see the icon in your top menu bar or dock, go to your Applications folder, open the Cisco folder and click the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client.app. Next click the Connect button as shown in the image under step 4 above.