On Monday Nvidia published the release notes for the next update of its CUDA platform and noted that “CUDA 10.2 (Toolkit and NVIDIA driver) is the last release to support macOS for developing.
- Download English (US), New Release 418.163. CUDA driver update to support CUDA Toolkit 10.1 Update 1 and macOS 10.13.6.
- Please Note: Due to an incompatibility issue, we advise users to defer updating to Linux Kernel 5.9+ until mid-November when an NVIDIA Linux GPU driver update with Kernel 5.9+ support is expected to be available.
NVIDIA® CUDA Toolkit 11.1 Update 1 no longer supports development or running applications on macOS. While there are no tools which use macOS as a target environment, NVIDIA is making macOS host versions of these tools that you can launch profiling and debugging sessions on supported target platforms.
You may download all these tools here. Note that the Nsight tools provide the ability to download these macOS host versions on their respective product pages.
Please visit each tool's overview page for more information about the tool and its supported target platforms.
The macOS host tools provided are:
- Nsight Systems - a system profiler and timeline trace tool supporting Pascal and newer GPUs
- Nsight Compute - a CUDA kernel profiler supporting Volta and new GPUs
- Visual Profiler - a CUDA kernel and system profiler and timeline trace tool supporting older GPUs (see installation instructions, below)
- cuda-gdb - a GPU and CPU CUDA application debugger (see installation instructions, below)
Revision HistoryNVIDIA® development tools are freely offered through the NVIDIA Registered Developer Program
Instructions for installing cuda-gdb on the macOS
This tar archive holds the distribution of the CUDA 11.1 Update 1 cuda-gdb cuda-gdb debugger front-end for macOS.
Native macOS debugging is not supported in this release. Remote debugging from a macOS host to other CUDA enabled targets, however, is supported.
Supported Mac platforms: macOS 10.13
- Create an installation directory
- Download the cuda-gdb-darwin-11.1.105.tar.gz tar archive into
- Unpack the tar archive
tar fxvz cuda-gdb-darwin-11.1.105.tar.gz
- Add the bin directory to your path
- Run cuda-gdb --version to confirm you're picking up the correct binaries
You should see the following output:
NVIDIA (R) CUDA Debugger
Portions Copyright (C) 2007-2020 NVIDIA Corporation
GNU gdb (GDB) 8.3.1
Copyright (C) 2019 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
Native macOS profiling is not supported in this release. Remote profiling from a macOS host to other CUDA enabled targets, however, is supported.
Supported Mac platforms: macOS 10.13
- Double click .dmg file to mount it and access it in finder.
- Drag nvvp folder and drop it to any location you want (say <nvvp_mac>).
- Download and install the required version of JDK.
(Refer to the Notes about JRE Requirements when using Visual Profiler on the macOS section, below)
- Open terminal.
- Change to the bin folder
- Run nvvp script file in command line
<path_to_java> should point to the JRE update 151 version of Java (See Notes about JRE Requirements, below).
> ./nvvp -vm <path_to_java>
> ./nvvp -vm /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/zulu-8.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/bin/java
Download Cuda For Mac
Summary of supported features:
- Remote profiling
- Import nvprof output files
Refer the 'Visual Profiler' section in the 'Profiler User's Guide'
for more information:
Notes about JRE Requirements when using Visual Profiler on the macOS
OpenJDK provides an open-source (and standards compliant) implementation of a Java compliant JVM.
Binaries are provided by various vendors such as Oracle, Azul Systems (Zulu), Amazon, Red Hat, IBM, etc.
Visual Profiler needs to use an older version of Java, specifically JRE update 151, to work correctly.
This is currently not offered by Oracle JDK but is provided by Azul Systems (Zulu).
The Bazel Build project also uses the Zulu builds of OpenJDK.
Download JDK 8.0.144 to get JRE update 151:
- Download version: 8u144-b01 (Zulu: 22.214.171.124) .dmg.zip.tar.gz
- Download version: Zulu 126.96.36.199 (build 1.8.0_144-b01 .zip